Monday, February 24, 2014

Parallels of my life to Moses

After I read the OT reading in exodus today, and was challenged to identify a "life-altering encounter with God", I began to think about the various parts of my life - and where I felt I encountered God the most.

I worked backward - because in the almost 10 yrs since my retirement, I have felt the presence of the Holy Spirit most in my life.  Maybe because I am able to take time to allow this to occur.  Not dramatic occurrences, but the quiet sense of companionship.  Of being in the right place - where God wanted me to be.

But when did I feel I was most "in the wilderness"?  I guess that separation from known family and friends in Richlands - but I did have a spiritual time there with RPC and a growth of my spiritual identity in the Women's circle there, by accepting responsibility to bring a meditation of devotion to the meeting.  (Not feeling ready to actually lead the bible study/lesson.)

Or does that make that the mountaintop time?

So then was Mgtn the time of oppression?   - or maybe that was the beginning of the journey from "egypt" - Very little church time, but D helped me find my Maundy Thursday base in her UMC.

Certainly I felt my spirit oppressed during my later years at B - between an MD who I would in later  years reacognize as "abusive" in actions and language, and the discouragement of feeling unknown and un recognized in the congregation to which I belonged.

And I will continue to be thankful for the pastor that led me into recognizing the way I am loved and beloved, and quietly encouraging me to acknowledge that relationship with God.  It's not that I am special from anyone else, it is that each and every one of us is special to God.  What a glorious thought.

Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment