Saturday, June 15, 2013

New Experience

Yesterday I met with a Spiritual Director for the first time.  I was uncertain about this.  Two Pastors that I respect meet have spiritual direction and one of them, a valued friend, suggested this might be an avenue for me - beyond what I was feeling with my current pastor,

As I met with him, initially I was uncomfortable.  I started by giving some of my personal history especially as it related to my "spiritual life", I discussed times when I specifically felt the presence of God - weeding, walking, my morning quiet time and he kindly nodded and smiled from time to time.   I became more comfortable discussing my feelings.  I think this will be a good experience.  The ability to discuss things like "laws are for the lawless" - and we are all God's creatures - and that even people like the Boston Bomber - or bin Laden, are loved by God, just have deviated from the path God may have preferred they take.

Made me feel a little less out of step with people in general.  My desire and prayer now are to be able to be comfortable when I use words to others that may come out strange, but are meant to be of comfort. 

Truely, the presence of the Lord is in this place- I can feel His power and His grace.  An affirmation back from my Quaker days that hearing and feeling God is not unique to people who are called to have ministry as their life profession.

Thanks be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment