Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving 2013

I am struck this morning, an all American holiday, about the deep thread of religion in our history.  As I read Psalm 100 this morning ( and I confess, I was excited to realize I not only could recite it, but knew it was Psalm 100 -), I saw an instant connect between "it is He that has made us and not we ourselves" and "We are endowed by our Creator ..".  Yes, I thought to myself, we are not self made - we are made in the image of the creator.

There Bible was recorded as the document of the people of Israel.  And the time it was recorded, that was the world as those people knew it.  In the Declaration of Independence there is no mention of a brand of religion.  No mention of a Christian God or a Muslim God.  An undefined supreme being, "our Creator".
Over my entire life, and more recognizably in the last 8 years, I have recognized I was (and am) created and nurtured by an all loving God.

Today is a historic moment in the life of the American Jews.  A coming together of their "church and state" in that Hanukkah and Thanksgiving.  Thanksgiving Akuh (?).  My sister has a Menurkey - a turkey that will hold the nine candles of a menorah.  Yet our traditional ancestors - the ones we celebrate as having "discovered" and settle America, were devout Christians who were escaping the Church of England so they could pursue the freedom to worship as they chose.

In my mind, all is God created - and the God I choose to worship is a triune God - God the Father (and yes,I see God in the masculine), God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.  God loves me, no matter what.  And especially today, for that I am indeed thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment